This week on Curmudgeon's Corner, Sam and Ivan do get into politics a bit, talking about the trade wars, 3D printing guns, attacks on Election 2018, and the separated kids at the border. But mostly the show is a lightning round show, so there are a lot of non-political things too. So you also get to hear about the rest of Sam's road-trip, some books and movies, Apple's milestone, and some feedback we received a while ago.
- (0:00:20-0:31:17) Sam: Road Trip Continued
- Day 2 Revisited: Bad Hotels
- Day 4: Things not done, Corn Palace
- Day 5: Bighorn and Yellowstone
- (0:32:02-1:16:40) Lightning Round 1
- Ivan: Trade War
- Sam: Book: The Autobiography of Mark Twain Volume 3 (2015)
- Ivan: 3D Printing Guns
- Sam: Movie: Computer Chess (2013)
- Ivan: Movie: Mission Impossible - Fallout (2018)
- (1:17:56-1:59:14) Lightning Round 2
- Sam: Feedback on Ivan rant on Boomers
- Ivan: Apple at One Trillion
- Sam: Attacks on Election 2018?
- Ivan: Separated Kids
On this week's Curmudgeon's Corner, Sam and Ivan's main topics are Election 2018, Alex Jones getting kicked off various platforms, and all the corruption in and surrounding the Trump administration. Before all that, a few bits on kid accounts for online services, a book and a movie Sam watched, and some adventures with cars.
- (0:00:15-0:31:02) But First
- The real Importance of the Corn Palace
- Kid accounts for online services
- Book: The Eyre Affair (2001)
- Movie: Space Jam (1996)
- Ivan's car alarm rescue
- Leaving keys in the car
- (0:32:17-1:05:47) Election 2018
- OH-12 Special Election
- People mad at Greens
- Primary results
- Democratic wave?
- State races
- Trump effect
- Sam votes
- (1:06:56-1:30:02) Jones Removals
- Platform or media?
- Does presence of alternatives matter?
- Private company rights
- Human judgement and standards
- Slippery slopes
- Governmental vs corporate censorship
- (1:30:46-2:00:20) Corruption
- Wilber Ross grifting
- VA run out of Mar-a-Lago
- Trump Cabinet
- Trump and family
- Grassroots grifting
|[Ep 584] In and Out of It [1:58:10]|
Recorded: Sat, 2018-Aug-18 UTC
Published: Sun, 2018-Aug-19 02:00 UTC
This week on Curmudgeon's Corner, Sam and Ivan's main topics are... Musky Stuff (Elon Musk's various companies and how he is handling them), Twittery Stuff (Twitters challenges in dealing with abuse, fake news, user experience, and 3rd party clients), and Trumpy stuff (Omarosa, Firing Strzok, Brennan's security clearance, NDAs, and the canceled parade). Before all that, they talk about Seattle Plane Guy a bit, and a couple more movies Sam watched recently.
- (0:00:25-0:21:29) But First
- (0:24:31-0:42:15) Musky Stuff
- (0:42:56-1:14:39) Twittery Stuff
- (1:15:16-1:57:50) Trumpy Stuff
On this week's Curmudgeon's Corner, Sam and Ivan talk about... what else? The Manafort verdicts, the Cohen guilty plea, and the potential implications of both, and how things might go from here. But first, Ivan talks about airplanes, the podcast got another iTunes review worth noting, and Sam saw a couple more movies.
- (0:01:43-0:24:34) But First
- (0:25:13-0:48:22) Paul Manafort
- (0:49:42-1:20:34) Michael Cohen
- (1:21:49-2:02:14) What's Next?
|[Ep 586] Useful Thing [1:27:39]|
Recorded: Thu, 2018-Aug-30 UTC
Published: Fri, 2018-Aug-31 21:21 UTC
This week on Curmudgeon's Corner, Sam is joined by guest host Bruce. Sam and Bruce go lightning round format and hit a lot of different topics including the "uberization" of all sorts of things, a couple movies Sam watched, preliminary thoughts on the 2020 Presidential election, whether Trump is being bashed for the wrong things, jury nullification... and more!
- (0:00:20-0:40:25) Lightning One
- Bruce: Sam's shifting politics
- Bruce: Bashing Trump for the wrong things?
- Sam: Movie: The Incredibles (2004)
- Sam: Movie: The Incredibles 2 (2018)
- Bruce: Manafort trial and jury nullification
- Sam: John McCain
- (0:41:04-1:27:19) Lightning Two
- Bruce: Uberization of everything
- Sam: Democratic superdelegate rules
- Sam: Democratic caucus and primary rules
- Bruce: Smoke detector batteries
- Sam: Bruce and local politics
- Sam: Election 2020